Wednesday, November 12, 2008

no nobler deed than education of children

O ye loving mothers, know ye that in God's sight, the best of all ways to worship Him is to educate the children and train them in all the perfections of humankind; and no nobler deed than this can be imagined.
(Abdu'l-Baha, Selections from the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha, p. 138)

Today I am filled with gratitude at my fortune of being a mother. This above quote brings me a sense of inspiration and purpose that even though being a loving and educative mother is not easy, striving to train my daughter in the perfections of humankind fulfills me in a way no other job could.

This quote mentions God. My belief is that God is the Higher Power, the Creator, the Divine Maker of the Universe. God is Unknowable to us little humans, the same way that a painting cannot know its painter. God is Love. There is only One God. All religions come from One God. All people are created by One God.

Worshipping God, I believe, is not only for Sundays in the church pews. When we use our talents, skills and capacities to help others, when we work in a spirit of service, this too is worshipping God.

As mothers, whatever our belief system is, whatever our belief in God is, we still have a noble purpose of raising our children to be the best that they can be. When we dedicate ourselves to training our children in the perfections of humankind we are contributing to the betterment of the world.

Today, I wish to acknowledge all you other mothers out there, sacrificing your time and energy to your kids. And I say "Cheers!" to you all. :)

No comments: